PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commercial Pilots who don't know about piston engines
Old 12th Apr 2016, 09:17
oggers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rutan around:

What you and others seem unable to get your heads around is that BEFORE top dead centre (TDC) the size (volume) of of the container holding the gas is decreasing. Even without igniting the gas the pressure and temperature increase. You know-same number of molecules squeezed into a smaller space.
Sure, I would assume everyone gets that. It is obvious but it is beside the point. Walter Atkinson wrote - as a rebuttal to andrewr -
The expansion of the burning gas creates the pressure
which is a misunderstanding of how an engine works thermodynamically and an equally incorrect understanding of the gas laws. That is the point.

Jabawocky

oggers

You are reduced to publishing alcor's material now as gospel.

The game is up. You will not take the advice of Walter, yet you will stand on the old Alcor advertisement material …….
I have not claimed that Alcor document is gospel. Walter said "Alcor are innovative" so I simply reproduced some of their material. Somehow I didn't think you would like it. "Gospel" is your word - I wouldn't use it. If there is a part of that document you wish to rebut then feel free; I may or may not agree with your opinion.

As for the TBO….perhaps Walter might just have done a lot of work with and has a lot of papers from the guys that flew them. I have in my office an excellent publication from Curtis Wright which is not easily found where they talked heavily about what we know today to be true.
Ok, so the calim by APS is "TC18 engines only made 600hrs TBO when run ROP, and they made 3600hrs when run LOP". If you have the documents from Wright where they verify this you will be able to post it here.

Last edited by oggers; 12th Apr 2016 at 10:56.