PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-738 Crash in Russia Rostov-on-Don
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2016, 21:06
PBY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
klintE, you are asking how a pilot could ignore ADI indication. I think that constantly flying on the autopilot, or manually flying with the FDs makes for a very efficient degradation of the ability to scan. I see it in the sim. I have to teach a lot of basic scanning techniques.
Especially those who flew only glass cockpit are very vulnerable. They have not developped
proper scanning techniques, even though they might be flying glass for years. And the skill does not get better under stress. I have seen people pushing down in the sim, which initially was a correct reaction to a nose high attitude, but keeping to push without noticing the original nose high situation was developping to nose low. I even had an FO who did not know the little dot was a pitch, as he was flying by looking only at the bird. There is people here who do not instruct. So they do not know the state of general flying ability. And they forget that there is a difference in the ability to actively scan as opposed to being a happy pilot-passenger kind of automation dependent until the skill is needed....