PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA allowing unlicensed drone ops, <2kg
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2016, 13:52
Propjet88

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello again,

VH-FTS, Thank you for your response to my post.

You asked the question

"...Not saying it won't ever happen, but what is the risk likelihood..."?

I just tried to put some metrics around answering it although, at this early stage of deregulation, all metrics are supposition.

I don't want to get into a war of words over this but the increase in numbers of RPAs is related to time, so only time will tell.

By the way, real estate agents in my area charge anywhere between $400 - $600 for a sales promotion video of the inside of your house (I know as I have just had 3 x quotes). So I don't think a video of the outside would go for much less - never mind $30. So, using your pricing, the capital cost of a Phantom would be recouped in 4 x property videos.

I agree that the boundary layer effect is better named the bow wave effect. But no, its from the aircraft, not the bird! Anyone who has done "probe and drogue" AAR or line astern formation will have experienced this. Sorry if my post gave the impression that birds had a big boundary layer!

I stand by the comment that if the data link is lost and GPS is not enabled / not fitted / GPS signal is lost, the device has no data to "come home" and will continue on its last vector - whatever that is. I guess that various other fail safe algorithms may be programmed into the software of sophisticated devices but geographical / altitude info can only come from a valid GPS signal.

Also, I guess we read the CASA regulations a little differently. You say

"...Do you realise the way CASR part 101 is written means anyone can buy a Phantom off the net and fly right next to an airport, as long as they are below 400 feet and not in the departure and approach path? Heck, could fly one right up to Brisbane Tower if I wanted to...".

I hope no casual reader of PPrune reads your post and tries this as it would be illegal and, as I'm sure most readers realise, extremely dangerous.

Actually, CASR 101.238 requires:

" the RPA is operated at or below 400 ft AGL by day..." and

"...the RPA is not operated ... within 3 nautical miles of the movement area of a controlled aerodrome..."

Fly Safe
PJ