PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2016, 12:39
Danny42C

Off to war ?

Fareastdriver,

What a feast ! Where to start ?
...the Indonesians are now starting to paratroop into Malaysia at night...
So I had got the right war, after all (at last !)
...As they are now finished in India...
What exactly were the Javelins supposed to do there ?
...and operational between Sumatra and Malaysia by six a.m., tomorrow...

...They will be armed with missiles...

... Sukarno had recently acquired some Mig 15s and they might come up for a look-see...
Things seem to be hotting-up nicely. Did anything happen and what would the ROE have been if it had ?
...The very first de Havilland Comet flight into India had landed there by mistake instead of the new Bombay airport...
Happened many a time, by all accounts,
...The poverty hadn’t changed in the last few days but I was not paying any attention to it any more...
Same for everybody - after the first great culture-shock, you very quickly took India in your stride.
...if you bought anything in India you had to pay export duty in foreign currency on it to take it out!..
Seems a poor way to encourage exports - the general idea is to levy import duty on stuff coming in ! (and I was fleeced coming back from RAF(G) for a sewing machine and Mrs D's gold watch).
...As we reached the turn off for the runway I looked up at the runway approach and shouted, “STOP!”...
! Just as well you did ! (Shades of Tenerife 1977 - the worst disaster in aviation history).
...There was a Boeing 707 with everything hanging out at about one mile from touchdown...

...“Hold you position,” from the tower. That was a bit late, I thought...
Bloody criminal, I call that ! What was Local Controller thinking about ? That 707 must have been on approach for minutes - and NOW he tells you !) Had I been the Watch Boss, he would have been out of his seat and chucked down the Tower steps for good measure.
... and after a good look up the approach to make sure there were no other surprises...
Can't blame you. Glad there was no ATC in India in my time - you looked after yourself.

Keep it rolling, this is fine.

Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 11th Apr 2016 at 12:41. Reason: Corrn.