PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter down at Shoreham
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2016, 10:36
Pittsextra

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm not sure what causes so much angst in these threads but some might do well to read the origins of remarks/comments because that gives proper context.

I can't see anyone banging the table for a prosecution speaking for myself on the Go-Pro footage I initially asked the question if as pilots we felt such recordings were primarily the same as aviation specific FDR's, etc. Nobody has given a view on that, yet it was a question and follow up comments of how in other walks of life mobile phone footage seems freely obtained, would we want it used in aviation are all posed as questions, and still those most critical don't offer an opinion other than everyone else is an idiot and knows nothing.

The RAeS session that is suggested is a silly point was a reflection of a personal take on things. I did not feel there was this grand consensus of opinion and one might think if that view is mistaken it seems odd that this vast body of clever people don't work to change the way accident reports might be used in future?

FL it was you that introduced the Moth point and in that incident the differing emphasis of pilot and AAIB doesn't strike me as some grand obstruction to aviation safety investigation. Perhaps on another day and another set of circumstances it may prove to be, but then perhaps someone (maybe yourself?) could look at para.3 above?

However for now we have no final report and therefore no accepted rationale of its cause or even possible cause, if aviation safety is our primary concern (and very many suggest it is) then given a new season of display aviation is upon us with some regulation changes perhaps it isn't surprising some feel that is sub-optimal, especially if there is a feeling that some basic information should and could be known almost immediately or items that seem relevant had been raised in the past...

I might be miss calling things but I am not sure the processes involved (by which one means in and out of the aeroplane) in the build up to this incident will be 'best practice' for the future. The ethos of aviation possibly should avoid victims of displays, fuel management, WX decisions and so on. I don't need a lawyer or a court room to educate me in that regard.