PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russian airlines
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2016, 09:02
Phileas Fogg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Russia, particularly Aeroflot, have perhaps the worst safety record going but when one reads in to just some of the accident reports many were during the soviet era when Aeroflot might have been flying a military contract, perhaps in a rotary wing, and in the crappiest of weathers to the crappiest of airports.

I haven't flown domestically within Russia, only Austrian to/from LED (SPb), but I have flown domestically, and significantly, within Ukraine flying on such types as AN24, Tu134, Yak42 and AN140.

The AN24 is a piece of crap, that is the type I most flew on, and I understand, I don't know for sure, that it's single engine performance ain't all that.

The Yak42, one was served a cup with a tea bag in before another hostie came round with an old-fashioned kettle of hot water that looked like she'd just taken from a gas ring.

The Tu134, ODS has the bumpiest runway I have ever experienced, it was a pretty empty flight, the seat backs didn't lock in to position, so as we landed and reverse thrust applied the seats went forward in a domino effect ... I had to climb out of my window seat.

The AN140 ... Oh that was lovely, a delayed evening flight, a few of us pax had become friends and were having a laugh, we landed in a horrendous snowstorm at OZH, the runway wasn't visible for snow, but by then we were having such a laugh we didn't really care!

When I recently read the headline of a B737 crash in Rostov you might imagine I thought "here we go again" and to my, then, surprise it wasn't an FSU airline ... Just shows you, you never can tell!