PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why Do So Many African Airlines Fail
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2016, 08:40
kilomike_19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm agree with you Raski... totally agree... When corrupt politicians are in a business, this business will fall down soon or later.

Don't forget North Africa. Some major airlines like Tunisair, Air Algérie, Royal Air Maroc or Libyan look healthy economically, but behind that image there is a dark side full of shenanigans...

As a Moroccan, I've heard a lot about Royal Air Maroc, a big airline, with hundreds of destinations and a large fleet... This airline is ONLY making money with Africa (well, they also takes advantage in the Hajj period and in the Montréal-Casablanca route). It's one of the few airlines that have an extensive network in Africa and she takes advantage asking for exorbitant prices . Now she is fighting against Air Arabia because this last one also wants part of the delicious African cake... She fighted also against Turkish and Ethiopian offering "low fares flights"... Anything to keep her market. I traveled with RAM to some African destinations paying the price of a transoceanic flight and sincerly the attention on board is insufferable. In these trips it has become clear to me that the RAM makes money with these routes... a lot of money.

Air Algérie or Tunisair are in the similar case too. They are a clear example of corrupt airlines. Thanks to God Morocco has signed the Open Skies agreement and many European airlines are operating in the country. Now I can travel to Europe without selling an organ :P

Answering your question I'm going to tell you one word : corruption. That is the basis of the problem.

Cheers