PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2016, 01:05
Blatchy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NZ flight schools

Hey everyone

Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong area.

I am in my late twenties, working in corporate sales, however due to a lack of interest in this career I am pursuing my lifelong dream to fly and possibly turn it into a career. My current approach is to keep working within my current position (due to the reasonable income) whilst studying and training towards my ppl with night vfr rating. If I still have the bug after completing this then I will move forward and complete the other necessary qualifications (cpl, Meir etc). I am a bit of an adventurist, and would like to pursue bush flying in various environments due to the challenge and opportunity to live in developing nations (I have lived in Asia before so aware of the risks) before possibly chasing an airline position.

Firstly I am writing this to see if any of you have recommendations for flight schools in New Zealand. I am based in Christchurch but don't mind travelling a little if required.

Secondly can anyone give me a good approximate of the total cost I should be expecting? All the pricing I have been finding on forums is from the late 2000's so I am unsure how relevant that would be now.

Also, how many hours are required to obtain a type rating for aircraft (eg c172, pa28 etc), and would it be more cost effective or advantageous to complete flight training in a cheaper aircraft then obtain a type rating for the others?

Thanks

Pete