PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 10th Apr 2016, 18:23
am111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would you tell your younger self?

Hi all,

This is my first post, so apologies if tacking my question onto this thread isn't the done thing. It seemed like the most sensible place to put it, rather than starting a new thread.

Here is my situation, I am 25 and currently working for my father in his independent business. For various reasons I have decided to pursue a career as an airline pilot. A dream I had as a child, but with 9/11 and the 2008 crash, a career path that during my formative years seemed unrealistic. I therefore concentrated on taking over the family business.

I have got my first class medical and have passed the skills assessment at CAE OAA, so I'm pretty much ready to go. I have a target start date of September as I have agreed to help my dad run the business until then. I have to keep him sweet after all.

My question is, what can I do to immerse myself in the world of aviation? Firstly because I am fascinated by it all but also because I worry that my CV will look a little sparse at the other end of flying school. I want to make sure I start giving myself the best possible chances to land that ever elusive first job. Unfortunately I will be working full time, including Saturday's, pretty much right up until I start my training so will only really have 2 days spare a week. Also, financially, every spare penny is being squirrelled to try and keep my debt as small as possible.

Obviously I have made my mind up on being a commercial pilot and going the integrated route. So I guess I am looking for any advice you wish you had received when you were in my position. Whether you're a seasoned captain with thousands of hours or you're treading water in the holding pool at the other end of an Ab-Initio course.

Thanks for your time!