PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Nauru - What's happening?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2003, 14:08
ER2nd.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fruitbatflyer. Great reply but thinking sideways..... it all comes down to money doesn't it . If there was a demand (and real pax ticket money to pay for it) there'd be a service provided by a heap of airlines. The medical bit is indeed the main problem for Nauru - so spend a bit more money resurrecting their own hospital for the services most needed. Yes, yes... I know equip (& staff) is/are expensive. Perhaps the numbers (and type of patients) who needed treatment 'elsewhere' could then be reduced - and are we really talking about a lot of life saving surgical trips that have to be done 'right now'.....or can they be arranged for the (say, on yr estimate) once a fortnight flight. Other than for the Melbourne Empire in good 'ol Oz, the biggest connection for Nauru is with Fiji. Perhaps that connection shd be encouraged with more support from there, not Oz - then only flts to/from Fiji would be required. With just one destination out of Nauru load factors would be satisfactory as all 'traffic' would be going via there - more frequent than present perhaps. Other routes would be hubbed out of Fiji, not Nauru. The main problem has always been where (in whose pocket) the money was going. The tails of past adventures could fill many books I'm sure. The money saved (and perhaps the 'Good Will' SOLD) doing away with Air Nauru ***as it currently is*** could be channelled into creating local employment aimed a reducing their imports. It really isn't that hard to grow a few lettices etc with a bit of soil (get some/make some!!) and water...! ETC...! The power of Oz shdn't be under estimated in 'looking after' a neighbour. We have been propping them up for years - punishment for the rape of their landscape is it not? I am intrigued as to where all this money is suddenly coming from (some backpay to the locals & the required-by-law D Check) - what have 'they' (the new Gov) put on hock to get it? I don't think their 'troups' would have been lucky enough to find any treasures, recently buried out in their desert, do you....! Haveagoodflightback Sunday mate! Enjoy those cold showers won't you.