PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Training in Manchester Area
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2016, 14:19
glaidman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight Training in Manchester Area

Hi everyone,

So after reading a lot on this forum (especially the many motivational stories here) I am as keen as mustard in being up in the air and pursuing some proper flight training, both for a hobby and possibly future career opportunities.

The question that I am sure every pilot wannabe has had - where does one start?

Perhaps a little bit about myself - I'm in my mid-20's (or quarter-life crisis? ) now, live in Manchester and have a day job weekdays. So far so good with what I am doing, but thought I could achieve something more satisfying, and that something stems early from my childhood. What can be more satisfying to be able to explore the world freely and swiftly with a pair of wings?

I read that many start by getting their PPL first. So I've been digging into CAA's list of flying schools available in the Manchester area, and immediately ran into my first question: What's the difference between approved training organization and registered training facility?

My second and, perhaps the important, question is finding a reputable school that offers PPL. One that I shortlisted so far is Manchester Flight Training, which offers a PPL course on a Cessna 150 for an up front fee of £7,795. Is this reasonable? Any other costs that I should also prepare for? I would be most grateful for some review and comments if you are currently training/were trained there. Suggestions on other schools are also welcome too!

I am looking to complete my PPL in 6 months' time, weather permitting of course. I hope this should allow enough time to pursue my dream.

Thanks. Any thoughts are much appreciated!