PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are Shoreham flying schools so busy.........
Old 10th Apr 2016, 13:02
alex90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still don't understand this notion of "putting prospects" whether before or after "current paying customers" I really really don't understand it.

90% of the time when I walk into any flying club or flying school, if they do have a receptionist, or an instructor manning "the desk" they're twiddling their thumbs, going on the internet, waiting for the phone to ring and in my opinion doing rather little else! Someone I know has the time to do monthly updates on the website, research better SEO for the club website whilst manning the desk on his bi-monthly shift, as well as sort out his normal duties. For the remaining 10%, they're often busy doing invoices, charging credit cards, making tea/coffee or dealing with reservations & cancellations / phone calls.

So yes, I am a little baffled. Why does one need to be put in front of the other? Surely the person who walks in the door first gets a first go, and the second waits a little before being helped out, in the (unlikely) event that they're busy!

I think it is the attitude that staff have when anyone walks through the door that matters most. Something else I find worth remembering, is the fact that they may not choose to do their training with you today - and go elsewhere for their first a/b initio. However, had they had a nice experience coming in, they may very well come back for further training later on down the line, such as IMC / Night / IR / aerobatics / renewals... etc...

I don't think you have the need to have a 90+minute conversation, but a courteous 15 minutes chat and if they're still interested, a quick look at any of the planes if any are sitting on the ground makes a world of difference.

The staff I meet who can't be bothered to even chat to you, let alone welcome you, regardless of the tea/coffee being offered is like shooting yourself in the foot.

Something I found fantastic was when someone once came in inquiring about learning to fly. The receptionist made him feel really welcomed, and spent the 10minute chat with him, showed him one of the planes, got the prospect all excited about learning to fly. Then came back in several minutes later to find there had been a cancellation, offered it the prospect who jumped up and paid for a trial lesson. I am not sure if this particular person returned to learn to fly with the club, but surely that is a win/win situation for all concerned is it not? Had that person been turned away after the initial 4minute chat (especially after travelling sometimes hours, to get to the airfields) the prospect would have gone home disappointed, and the club would have lost out on an hour of flying, so would the instructor!

Anyway - rant over.

Last edited by alex90; 10th Apr 2016 at 13:04. Reason: typo