PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Effect of Shockwwaves on aircraft in flight
Old 10th Apr 2016, 12:48
drichard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Effect of Shockwwaves on aircraft in flight

Hi all,

I am finalising a degree in geosciences and have my final year dissertation - the effect of shock waves on aircraft in flight, so I am trying to locate (publicly accessible) data on the effect of atmospheric shock waves on aircraft in flight (in particular, commercial aircraft operating at cruising altitude - fl370 or thereabouts).

The source of the shock wave is to be "airbursts / bolides of non terrestrial origin" (Think Chelyabinsk / Tunguska). The likely magnitude is going to be in the 10 to 50kt range. These shock waves are very different to sonic booms so data on those is not being helpful. Unfortunately, military data on shock waves from atmospheric atomic weapons tests is scant (obviously) and tends to refer to surface effects rather than the effect on aircraft in flight.

If anyone has any links to academic papers or books/datasheets which they feel may be of help, I would really appreciate some links as I am struggling to find information to take the project forward.

To keep the thread "clean", feel free to contact me direct at: [email protected].

Thanks in advance

Dave

Last edited by drichard; 10th Apr 2016 at 12:50. Reason: Typo's