PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Resistence to Change and Reform -- Anywhere.
Old 10th Apr 2016, 05:48
Howabout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a matter of interest, are you a pilot, or just ATC? Genuine question. Back in the G-O-Ds, DCA used to fund flying training for controllers, to give then some idea of what happens at the other end. Likewise, jumpseat rides for the day, multiple sectors, to see what really happens on the flight deck.
Two points, Leady, in respect of your quote from #21:

Firstly, you must stop using paternalistic language and consider what you write before hitting 'send: 'As a matter of interest, are you a pilot or just ATC (my underlining).' That lends the impression, rightly or wrongly, that you regard yourself as some sort of winged-god that considers ATC a lower form of life. You could write a book on 'How to Alienate a Target Audience 101.'

Secondly, and the previous aside, you are right on the jump-seat rides - I had several and they were invaluable as regards broader education. I enjoyed each and every one. Particularly the first time I had an Ansett ride in the 767 and saw the early days of the 'glass-cockpit' for the first time with the IRS display.

Why that has seemingly ended, I have no idea. Maybe it's the commercialization of ATC provision, whereby the numbers are no longer available to release people for a ride. Maybe 'user pays;,' but in my memory the rides I got were gratis. Just don't know on that one, but I did learn a lot.

In conclusion, and just a bit of advice. Stop lecturing and hectoring like you're delivering the Ten Commandments!

There's stuff that can be addressed, but people don't like being bashed over the head by those that treat them like morons!