PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-738 Crash in Russia Rostov-on-Don
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2016, 10:54
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at this more from a human factors than technical: people speculate on disorientation, mis-reading a HUD, and other factors in the execution of the GA. I have no answers to my questions, I admit. They had performed the same manoeuvre 2hrs earlier and from a similar very safe height; thus no rush, no panic, no surprises. So why does it go horribly wrong? It is said they achieved -1g. Anyone will feel that, it is not a gentle force. You will feel something is not correct; you should understand what is causing it and the PFD will confirm it and tell you what needs to be done about it.
Summary:
- this was a repeat of a previous successful manoeuvre.
- it was at a safe height, no rush, no surprise, no panic.
- -1g is an unmissable force
- PFD showing attitude in the brown is unequivocal.

Curious.

I'm curious & disturbed to hear some guys use trim to help level off. Agh! I'm assuming they give a nose down input, slightly. They reduce attitude to level off, reduce thrust to maintain speed and the nose attitude reduces further due to the power/pitch couple. To apply some nose down trim when a few seconds later you are likely to apply the very opposite due to thrust reduction seems to be an odd technique and not one I would encourage. It is flying pitch on trim and not elevator. This is normally considered a No No. Have I misunderstood?