PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SEP over water - do you? And if so how far will you go?
Old 9th Apr 2016, 07:07
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funnily enough it was always my dream to take a month off rent an aircraft and fly the Caribbean islands.

I go every year to Florida to renew my recurrent on the C500 series jets.
My other passion away from flying is scuba diving and photography.

One year I jumped a scheduled and flew to the Bahamas for a few days before getting BA direct from there to the UK
I did a crazy dive called a Shark feed where they placed a large box 25 meters down on the sea bed and 2 divers dressed in chain mail suits pulled dead fish out of the box.
The idea was that we all formed a ring around the box maybe 7 meters away and unprotected kneeled on the sea bed and watched the Sharks zoom in focusing on the fish being pulled from the box.

It was manic seeing these creatures come in from every angle whipped up into a frenzy and some pretty nasty types of Shark.

At one point maybe 50. They were bumping into the back of your head, shoulders and I broke my watch strap pushing one off that got to friendly
I wouldn't do it again for two reasons. One these were wild creatures whipped to a frenzy and you were totally reliant on them fixating on the box food source and two while I have dived with sharks in the open many times where I never felt threatened this was an artificial situation and the Sharks were in a feeding frenzy so you really did not know what they would do.

That and cost put me off single engine over those waters and my plans to fly the Caribbean islands in a SEP

We were thoroughly briefed and one part was if we couldn't take it not to swim to the surface but to back off on the bottom out of the area and then swim up to 10 meters from the surface and back to the boat ladder.But Never Never on the surface

Many in the USA do fly SEP to the Bahamas and other islands but I reckon you would be Shark meat if you spent any time in the water.
You cannot win, North Atlantic you freeze to death warm seas you have other threats
Many think the Great White Shark is the biggest Killer but its not the Oceanic white tips are mainly because in the wars they killed more people off blown up sinking ships than any other variety of Shark

Has anyone flown from Florida SEP and what precautions did you take ?
Myself it would have to be a twin ))

Pace