PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - This is your Captain Sleeping....
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2003, 08:05
jet_noseover
jetsy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
willbav8r

“I understand that the Captain in question resigned today.

I think it is quite appalling that the F/O would have let the situation continue - his / her inaction in my mind shows poor judgement. Not least as two crew equipment should have two functioning crew members - regardless of the conditions prevailing.”

Right on!!!!

There is absolutely no excuse for this skipper.
Many wish they could take a nap during their 8 hours a day 5 times a week “land” jobs (Driving to and back to work often times adds another 2 hours to one’s day). Yet doing so they know they would jeopardize their employment.
Sleeping, napping pilots at the controls puts them in the same category of misfits as those who are drunk.
Considering it was the right seat “employee” and supposedly in command, what kind of message is he sending to his “on the right co-worker”? Not only that but to all air travelers.
While a lot of pilots might feel it is safe to catch a quickie snooze while driving the iron, there is a reason why we have 2 at times 3 crew on flightdecks. Otherwise Airlines could save themselves some money and chop the “extra” Sky-Gods.
I will not even go into the possibility that FO might become incapacitated while the Cappy is snoring his life away.

And there is this quick (55min) flight. How overtired can one get on it? Of course, some say do it 2-3 times a day.. Routine, boredom, comfy chair, humming engines.. Fine,
Then how come when the folks performing routine, boring jobs, in their lazy-boy chairs in their “on the ground” office have to function all day long since napping will get them a pink slip?

The dude knew better since he fired himself.

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0703/95326.html

Bad rap for pilots, totally unsafe, against regulations to name a few.
What I find unprofessional is that most here on this thread find this “napping while flying a crowd” business acceptable and brag about doing the same. Oh btw, how many people read this forum? Just think about it.