PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ownership of risk
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2016, 19:02
Aurora Australis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply LFH.
I did consider explaining all the codes in my original post, so sorry you had trouble in finding them.

I assume your information at post#6 is verbatim from the book. If so, you are correct that they have got it wrong, on two counts - first that it should be a 6 character group, and second that it states "moderate to severe turbulence....indicated by 56/// group..." where 56 specifically only refers to "severe turbulence in clear air, occasional".

Also, your excerpt states "turbulence due to rotor activity indicated by 56/// group". In my view that is not strictly correct - those codes say nothing about the cause of the turbulence. There will be turbulence to some degree any time the wind at MPA is from the North, but the clue to the fact that it is rotor streaming is not in the 560003 alone, but the fact that it is accompanied by (e.g.)VRB05 - for someone not familiar with the phenomenon, they could be fooled into thinking that the TEMPO VRB05 meant the occasional relief from the bad turbulence of northerly 45kts, whereas it is exactly the opposite - it is when the rotors break off the hill and stream down over the airfield that the wind comes from all directions and is at its most turbulent.

I am very aware of the independent views of the local non-military operators (and the international non-military operators) - it is a subject that has been discussed at length, and no-one I have spoken with understands or agrees with the current policy.
(Incidentally, you are showing your age with your reference to Erics - Bristow have not been the military contractors at MPA since 1998 when British International won the contract, although Bristow have been operating out of Stanley for the past year on the Oil Support contract)

Last edited by Aurora Australis; 9th Apr 2016 at 05:42.