PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B744 Autothrottle on Manual Landing
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2016, 08:06
cf6-80c2b5f

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not advocating use of the A/T on a manual landing. As I said in my first post, this is theoretical. I eventually got my answer.

Incidentally, the Asiana crew in SFO never planned on pressing FLCH inside the outer marker, nor did their manual authorize it; but they found themselves in that situation one summer day in 2013. If they had better understood how the airplane would behave, perhaps they could have averted the outcome. I thought that's what this tech forum was for.

It is interesting that you ask this type of question. Almost five years before the Asiana crash a poster asked a theoretical question about the 777 A/T trap that caused the Asiana crash. You can read the post here, http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/34257...peed-prot.html but I'll save you the time and share the replies to his honest question below. Cheers.

Why would you want to climb , holding back the thrust levers ?
Good one fourgolds!
Why would you hold the thrust levers closed in climb, FLCH or otherwise, and let it get into a lowspeed situation, and then not advance them to get out of it?
God help all of us all if you are practicing this on the paying-public in open and shared skies in one of the shareholders aircraft.
And I have to echo the theme why climb with no thrust, doesn't seem that sensible.
Why would you pull the thrust levers back against the A/T even if ATC said stop climb now?????????????????????
Maybe we need 'low speed pilot detection'
If you're a real pilot flying real airplanes, I hope that I won't ever be paxing on your airplane. Because you are a busybody; perhaps overly bored sitting in the cockpit for hours doing nothing, who constantly needs to dabble with systems, . . . pulling the throttles back in a climb . . . like a mechanic who needs to fix something that isn't broken.
While you at it why don't you try a barrel roll too The A/C FBW will object BUT you could still do it with your flying skill I'm sure!!