PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter down at Shoreham
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2016, 06:24
The Old Fat One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We must have different opinions about what is an "over the top manner."
I doubt it.

"the pilot mishandled the jet and flew it into the ground...or words to the effect" (not my opinion, just an example).

That's not over the top...it's a perfectly reasonable comment, albeit one that is conjecture, speculative and premature. But it is not overtly offensive and it merely suggests a mistake...something all humans do, all the time -To err is human.

"the pilot acted in an unlawful or reckless manner" (again, an example not an opinion)

That is over the top (clearly!) It suggests a behavior on the part of pilot that goes beyond that of a simple flying error.

I would label the second sort of comment above as trolling and I would utterly condemn it. However, my point is I'm not sure there are very many posts of this nature in either of the very longs threads on this subject.

I'm not sad enough to go through them both and check, but if anybody can be bothered and they find a significant number (there is always the occasional troll) I'll happily admit I'm wrong.

There are many people with relevant expertise on the other thread. Not on this one.
On this we agree - discussions in general in this specific forum are often more emotive and less well informed. I've posted on that subject before and so have others.