PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA allowing unlicensed drone ops, <2kg
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2016, 06:09
IsDon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can understand why Andrew is upset.

He has the expectation that as soon as the magic word, "safety", is mentioned that instantly the most conservative approach is taken, regardless of any common sense whatsoever to the contrary.

This country is suffocating under the weight of well meaning, but practically useless, compliance and regulatory requirements. The vast majority of this is a knee jerk reaction by politicians to win votes, or to line the pockets of certain organisations in the compliance industry.

I laugh every time I spend a night in a hotel and read the safety compliance "test and tag" sticker on the cord of the hair dryer, and it has to be done on every component every year. This sort of compliance nonsense isn't required in any other country that I'm aware of, just Australia. Why? Is our power supply more dangerous than anywhere else on the planet.

There is a huge industry in this country in safety, environmental and security compliance. I have a mate who is a civil engineer, working on large NSW state road projects. On any project, large or small, the average cost of compliance is 30% of the total project cost. That's your tax dollars people.

I actually applaud CASA (first time ever) for striking a balance on this, rather than just taking the easy road of over regulation we expect from our government departments.

And no, I don't own a drone, don't own a r/c aircraft of any sort, and my photography skills are limited to what I can do with an iPhone. I do fly for a living though.

Last edited by IsDon; 11th Apr 2016 at 12:02.