PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pitch trim - poorly understood?
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2016, 02:15
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
but it’s going to look awfully odd to the guy in the other seat unless you’re very quick with the explanations
Not trying to tell a perceived "war story" but believe me there are situations that have happened where the captain (assuming he is PF or he is forced to take control from the PF) has to take instant action without the normal luxury of a CRM/TEM round table agreement. The fact the action is "going to look awfully odd to the guy in the other seat" should be of no concern. I had two of those instances in my flying career of long ago.

One was a runaway propeller within seconds after liftoff in a Convair 440. The the other was a training flight in the circuit when we experienced a sudden full flap runaway to down while on three engines in a four engine aircraft. On both occasions things happened so fast that the copilots concerned had absolutely no idea what had happened until shortly after control was gained and I got my own breath back.

Plus, if you have the skills and gonads to throw in 60degs of bank at low level why the *&%^ didn’t you do something less extreme earlier!?
I don't have a simple answer to that question.

Last edited by Centaurus; 8th Apr 2016 at 02:29.