PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fairey Firefly at Duxford
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2003, 05:45
Buster the Bear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrr

Sadly, a lot of folk attend air shows simply for the potential horrors and the pilots displaying know full well that if they crash or perish, the footage will be beamed around the globe rapidly. I bet all of the pilots in the displays last weekend would not have pulled out of flying their fantastic planes for fear of sensationalist journalism and folk attending selling footage to the TV?

You cannot censor news, but those sending out the stories to our TV's and PC's are to blame, not Mrs Buster selling footage of an incident, for if there was not a market for such footage........

Aerobatic like displays of vintage aircraft with elements of G-Force from a personal opinion, should be banned.

WW2 aircraft were designed with a shelf life of 60-90 days. I hope they last another 60-90 years at least. All folk want is to see them flown safely for many years to come and I am not saying that the Firefly was in any way unsafely flown on Saturday.

I am sickened at yet another major accident that Yeovilton has to endure.

Yet another irreplaceable airframe and certainly another two irreplaceable lives. Luckily (?) the stalwarts that truly adore the aircraft are very saddened and VERY shocked.

The fact is that whilst folk preserve and fly old airframes, there is a chance that Joe Public will witness a catastrophic event, Uncle Buster saw the wings fold back on the 'Spirit' at Coventry earlier this year, and has he stated, the show continued on 30 min later, just as it did at Duxford.

20 years ago the show's would have been cancelled following such an incident in respect, but that was 20 years ago!

After all, money rules now, Auntie Gertrude would want her money back if the organisers cancelled the show prior to its conclusion on the basis of an aviation tragedy?