PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - St. Helena Service
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2016, 17:59
Broken Biscuits

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More navaid info for St Helena

There's some more info escaped into the wild about the new airport's navaids and comms facilities. It's on the OpenAIP.net website.

There's two comm frequencies available, 119.1 for Approach and 118.2 MHz for Tower. With one flight a week I guess the same person will be manning both!

The Locator NDB is on 325 kHz, ident ST. VOR is on 113.1 MHz with co-located DME on the appropriate channel (78X), using ident SH. The localizer is on 109.3 MHz with ident HE.

There's no mention of the GBAS (GPS satellite augmentation system). This should have a VHF frequency allocated to it to carry the GPS correction signals to the aircraft. Perhaps ASSI are not going to certify this initially - possibly because they don't have any experience of such systems under their jurisdiction (and, of course, it wasn't invented here!).

It's interesting that now the VOR and DME are located roughly mid-runway the DME will be able to provide good distance to run info for the LOC/DME and VOR/DME approaches to runway 20, and also the possibility of an NDB/DME approach to runway 02 (the latter non-precision). The previous location of the VOR/DME next to Bradley's camp was inappropriate for this.

I agree with the comments above - Darrin Henry's pictures of the terminal show quite a plush arrangement. I guess you just can't downsize an airport that much even though it's only handling one or two flights a week. The massive earthworks cost to shift 8 million cu metres of rock to make the runway puts all the other expenditure into a relatively lower percentage, I should think.