PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BEA Trident London - Moscow 1971
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2016, 17:34
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
As a passenger-on dads subload tickets i loved Tridents and thought them very comfortable :went all over Europe on them. Longest trip was T2 to Cyprus , pitching up a ta BA office in Kyrenia i think we asked about loads for the following night a Monday only to be told -we might get you away on Thursday because of a medical conference taking all the seats. Off to Nicosia-as it was then- that night to await the transiting BOAC VC10 in the hope of a seat-no chance couple of other flights that day another BOAC and the regular T2 and we ares till stuck altho some sub load pax get away on these. But patience tells and alte afternoon full Cyprus Airways flight has 4 pax no shows. , There you go lads but you will have to run -and run we did , no security in those days and made it home.
Also the interchange of aircraft due to various ATC strikes etc , went to faro on honeymoon an clapped out Airtours 707 436 , deafening at the back. A week later and the return is a shuttle configured T3 which was full but managed Faro London Ok.

i never knew what a poor performer close to the ground it was until going to Rome with a friend who was a BOAC 707 FO who really didn't like the idea of sitting backwards and who regaled us , no doubt BOAC bias added, about how tricky the Trident was near the ground.

So I ahd alot of fun and adventures with tridents and think of them fondly and enjoyed greatly looking round the nose section at FNB

Lovely thread and very nice of the guys who flew wha was for its time quite an innovative machine with there experiences of the days before the magenta line
PB