PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA staff walkout @ LHR
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2003, 05:38
Hand Solo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having read the various reports on the net it appears that this is a walk out by both T1 ground staff and baggage handlers. This is very significant, particularly as the strike has been orchestrated with some degree of precision. I have a great deal of sympathy for the ground staff, they work very hard under difficult conditions for low pay and regularly stay on to help the pax when the operation runs into difficulties. The baggage handlers are a different breed. A militant bunch, they are willing to walk off the job at the drop of a hat and are usually the first to down tools and go home when the proverbial hits the fan. If my memory serves me well then this will be the third walk out by baggage handlers in the the last 12 months. My fear is that the more militant elements amongst the baggage handlers have convinced the normally dedicated ground staff to tag along with them this time and the ground staff will take the rap for it. Its been known for a long time that BA management have needed to take on the militant union leadership amongst the central area staff. I fear that this will be the justification for that move and the ground staff are about to get caught in a very messy crossfire.