PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 50 Years of the Fabulous 500.
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2016, 11:37
500 Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sadly, no film footage of this flight has emerged thus far, although you can be sure that Hughes had a camera man on hand at Culver City to record Bob Ferry's departure. If that footage still exists, hopefully it will emerge in the future.

Here is a link to another of the YOH-6A's record setting flights. The photo shows Jack Zimmerman standing beside 62-4213 with the auxiliary fuel tank visible in the rear compartment. Also visible is the high-tech PVC tape over the door crack to ensure a more aerodynamic finish!

Fai Record File

500 Fan.

Edit; I thought I would try to put the distance covered in this flight into perspective by seeing how far one could fly in Bob Ferry's YOH-6A if the flight started from Dublin! The most impressive flight I could come up with was this, a flight from Dublin to Happy Valley - Goose Bay, Newfoundland, Canada. IN AN OH-6A!!!!!! Granted, the conditions were quite different for Bob Ferry's flight but Dublin to Newfoundland is 2,187 miles, well short of his 2,213 miles. The extra fuel might have come in handy fighting that nasty headwind, though.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...?p1=78&p2=1137

Last edited by 500 Fan; 7th Apr 2016 at 17:56.