PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Further CASA CTAF problems shows not working!
Old 7th Apr 2016, 11:24
Dick Smith

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts
Some may have forgotten but before the 1991 AMATS changes CTAFs did not exist. All calls at non tower airports were on the area frequency or AFIS frequency and monitored by Flight Service.

That's what the incompetents at CASA are trying to go back to. They have already put in an AFIS at Port Hedland and the next thing will be to bring back full position reporting for VFR.

Remember many in management their have no idea that cost is important for GA. Their regulatory reform programme has gone from my direction as CAA Chairman of " remove every uneccessary cost- copy the lowest cost from around the world that gives the affordable level of safety" to " make the regs gold plated without reference to cost".

The CASA imposed ADSB requirement for every IFR aircraft will substantially reduce safety as more owners take their aircraft out of the IFR category and are forced to scud run or stay on the ground. Those that can afford the $10,000 to $ 49,000 to fit ADSB will in many cases do less flying or less frequently update their aircraft further effecting the industry.

No other country in the world has such expensive ADSB reqirements and it's not addressing any known safety problem. The CASA RIS states it will cost GA over $30 million and they won't budge on the decision as the code within the organisation is never to admit to an error.

Fortunately the extra costs don't effect me at all - but I feel for others.