PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA staff walkout @ LHR
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2003, 04:27
Jack The Lad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forgive me; I'm a mere individual employed in the aviation sector! I don't claim to know all the answers, but what I will tell you is that I have many years experience in this sector.

In response;

1. I sympathise with ILS27Left in that EVEREYONE has to retighten their belts....I think Rod is doing that...should have been done many years ago, but remember the 'prat' that was running the airline at the time? The guy that financed the 'Big Eye'? I understand that is a commercial success; good for him. Maybe that will offset the costs of the disastrous repaint jobs on the tails! Botom line is that I believe Rod is addressing the problem between the workers and the 'fat cats', himself included.

2. 'Working in difficult conditions and under high levels of stress' - forgive me, but pilots are not a unique proffesion here. I can name you many other jobs that are more 'stressful' than flying an airplane from A to B. Try a week at a stock exchange and tell me what is more stressful. Don't tell me how stressful an engine loss would be; how many times have you suffered that?

3. 'Does the management know that these people cannot go home at the end of their shift if a flight is delayed?' Why should they??????? There are fairly strict guidlines on how long anyone can work. That is in their contract and frankly, most pilots can expect and are expected to work much longer duty periods. If you can't stand the heat, get out the kitchen! You signed a contract, but having accepted it, want to change the terms?...not a leg to stand on. Why am I so vocal on the subject? I run my own business and work seven days a week, 52 weeks a year. No one deserves a living...you earn it!

Many will disagree, but thats my view