PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fairey Firefly at Duxford
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2003, 04:12
Neil Porter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would just like to add my sincere condolences to the families of Bill Murton & Neil Rix.
Having seen the Firefly routine twice this year, i thought it was nice & gentle , one maybe other pilots may like to adopt when flying WW2 aircraft as these are not modern combat types some may fly day to day & fear that there will be more crashes i (god forbid) in the near future if the routines performed by some are not tamed abit.

I saw the whole thing happen from the road near the village on the hill, was busy filming the Firefly coming towards me when i suddenely realised as soon as the Firefly went inverted & saw the nose coming down & pointing more or less in the area where i was standing, I ran like hell.
I remember glancing up quickly whilst running to see if i was going to die or may have a chance of surviving, for it to pass very low & slightly to one side of me & crash approx 200ft / 250ft behind me into the cornfield!

Very very scary, definetly a close call & it took me a day to realise just how lucky i was.

My statement / Video film is now with the AAIB.