PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Further CASA CTAF problems shows not working!
Old 6th Apr 2016, 23:18
BuzzBox

Received 90 Likes on 51 Posts
Dick,

Thanks for your reply to my previous question. According to the original NAS proposal, the radio requirements for VFR aircraft in Class G airspace were:
  1. If in airspace normally used by arriving or departing CTAF traffic, monitor/communicate on the CTAF frequency.
  2. If in airspace normally used by arriving and departing aircraft to a Class D tower, monitor/communicate on the tower frequency.
  3. Otherwise monitor the relevant ATC/FIS or monitor 121.5 MHz.
Under that system, I assume that aircraft would use the Multicom frequency (126.7) while operating at an uncontrolled airfield, unless some other frequency has been designated for that purpose.

I understand your objection to CASA’s current requirement for aircraft to broadcast on the Area frequency while operating at unmarked airfields. To be honest, I haven’t found it to be a problem while flying across Australia at high altitude in my RPT jet. Crossed transmissions occur on ATC frequencies regardless of CASA’s broadcast requirements, but in my experience they are managed quite well and without incident.

My understanding is that CASA is concerned that pilots using the Area frequency will not hear broadcasts from aircraft at unmarked airfields, if those broadcasts are made on the Multicom frequency. Is that concern not valid? How is that risk mitigated in the US system?