PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC-121 Super Constellation
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2016, 23:12
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes Geoff, there's something about the Lockheed Constellation that seems to have captured the imagination and affection of so many of us baby-boomers. In my case, the L-749A of SAA/SAL at Lusaka (City), 1953 - 1955.

In those days the South African Airways Connie was king as far as long-haul from the Rhodesias to Europe was concerned. BOAC was operating the Hermes in place of the recently-lost Comet 1. The Argonaut (EAA) and DC-6B (UAT) wouldn't start operations until a bit later, as would the Viscount 748Ds (CAA).

Watching from close quarters the Wright R-3350s firing up in the heat of the tropical dusk was an awesome experience for an impressionable boy. Almost invariably one of the four would demur at the first attempt. Once the others were running, the second attempt inevitably produced a formidable amount of flame and smoke, observed warily by the man with the fire extinguisher. Then the chocks would be waved away, the aircraft would creep forward in its strange, nose-high attitude; the twin, slanting nose-wheels pivoting at the bottom of that long leg and the distinctive empennage swinging round as the big ship left the apron, followed by a wave of hot air and dust. Then there would be the usual delay while the engines were run up at the far end of the airfield.

Today's spotters, accustomed to the modest climb angle of a heavily-laden jet, might find the piston equivalent unnerving, particularly after the encouragingly short take-off run. What I later knew to be "WAT" was generally the limiting factor for take-off performance, particularly at African altitudes and temperatures; the real inspiration for the old chestnut about the curvature of the earth.

In 1955 we finally flew to London in one. Well, that was me hooked!