PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2016, 21:38
Danny42C

...plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...

Fareastdriver (your #8422),
...My Chief Tech had bought me my brothel creepers at my request from the NAAFI...
In the '60s, one of my F/Sgt Controllers bought me a pair of black Oxfords (W.O. Pattern ?)
from RAF Stores at half the price they would have charged me. Still got 'em somewhere.
...We followed the same procedure as the day before and noticed with concern that the first tanker did not seem to take off. When the runway ran out he appeared to carry on just above the water...
cf my 18th Oct 2012, (p.157 #3131) "Danny has an Unpleasant Vision of the Future".
... but there was virtually a zero rate of climb for some time...
Ground Cushion Effect - the "Great Persian Gulf Sea Monster ?"

(your #8417),
...As we went into our accommodation the chill of the air conditioners was a relief...
What is this ? When did we start pampering our aircrew ? This is not the spirit which made our Empire Great, what, what, old boy ?

(back to #8422),
... I found out later that their job was to persuade the cows to get off the tarmac...
I had to buzz my fauna off myself (but, to be fair, I only had goats to contend with).
... but the tarmac over there is so soft we couldn’t get the aircraft off this bit until we had defueled it some...
cf my p.153 #3056: "Danny, Rats, Goats, Kitehawks and stuck Liberators".
... It arrived and we looked at the generator towing vehicle in amazement. It was somewhat battered mid-twenties Rolls Royce; its angular radiator still pristine but surrounded in steam from a leaking core. It was an open four seater, its hood having disappeared years ago, with the cracked and soiled rear seat covered with junk and old tools...
You've posted these pics before - but no matter, they're well worth seeing again (and proof that old Rollers will run forever !)
...After five minutes of being hounded by hawkers and beggars I retreated back downstairs...
India will never change.
... Another thing that shocked me were the carts with one or two men almost yoked to the shafts...
Human labour is dirt cheap and in infinite supply. But it seems the man-pulled rickshaw is dying out in favour of "tuc-tucs" throughout the Far East.
...The saga will continue..................
Bring it on, FED !

Danny.