PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C172 Crash near to Madrid
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2016, 20:12
piperboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is another anomaly about this flight that is unrelated to cops, mechanical faults or dubious airmanship that has got me puzzled and that I'd like to throw out and see if someone with a tad more grey matter than myself can answer.

Firstly, I use 2 GPS systems for navigation, the primary is a panel mounted and integrated Garmin 496 VFR unit with external antenna that has never ever failed me. The second is an IPAD mini running Skydemon, sometimes I have the IPad blue toothed to a Garmin GLO other times I don't bother and just use the IPADs internal GPS receiver, regardless of method it also has never failed or frozen on me.

Upon my departure from Jersey it was pretty much IMC conditions right after departure and upon reaching 1000 feet, about 20 miles out I lifted my instrument scan to view the iPad for a verification of my situational awareness and was rather perturbed to notice the little airplane icon was in a tight right turn, I want back to my steam gauges to verify I was climbing straight ahead which I was, and a glance over at the Garmin verified this and confirmed the Skydemon info on the iPad was erroneous. I looked back at the IPAD and it was switching back and forward from an altitude reading of 22,000 feet and 500 feet so it was decidedly in error ( which was a first and very surprising). Anyway I continued and subsequently completed my journey, the next day I looked back over my flight track on flightradar24 ( see link below) and noticed at the point on the flight where the IPAD/SD info went bad near St Anne's Island and abeam the northern tip of the Cherbourg peninsula the radar track shows a sharp right then left turn back on track that I did not make.

My question is, if the info on flightradar24 is accurate, AND I did not make those turns, is it just pure coincidence that both my iPad and the mode S transponder both independently and in error said I had turned? Is there some type of magnetic field or electronic interference at that point of the Channel that could have interfered with both the IPAD and the info the radar was receiving from my transponder ?

Flightradar24 track info
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...3110j/#94979e1