PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC-121 Super Constellation
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2016, 15:37
Fareastdriver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
In the mid-seventies valuable and attractive items were always transported by air; there was too much pilfering on the seaboards. IIRC Miami Airlines/Airways used to be in this freight business using Constellations of varying hues.

We had one shut down in Belize owing to a technical problem so I had a wander over to have a look. The finish was non-descript but you could see the faded, rubbed out, Pan American logos.

Walking around it revealed the tyres were soaked in oil that had dripped down from the engines and when I climbed inside I found the interior was lined with hardboard with hacksawed window accesses but, however, all the cabin call buttons, light, etc were still there.

The flight engineer welcomed me aboard and at that started the No 4 engine. He seemed happy with that and started folding up his paperwork. Conversation established that No 4 was the suspect engine and had been for some time. The requirement was that they could use it to take off and once they were airborne they would feather it and continue on the other three.

About six months later a Connie passing Belize had a No1 prop overspeed. The engine caught fire and threw its propeller off which went into No2 and shredded a blade. This in turn caused No2 engine to break loose on its mounting and rotate into the port wheel well. The captain pushed out a Mayday and headed towards Belize International.

The aircraft arrived at Belize; one engine on fire, the next engine stopped and the undercarriage on that side jammed up. He landed it on one mainwheel and eventually the nosewheel and it slew off the runway into the grass.

At that point the valuable and attractive cargo let loose.

Prime pedigree cattle.

They beat all known records for aircraft evacuation. They went out through the sides, the roof, anywhere, between eight and ten seconds.

The captain was heartbroken. He had amassed tens of thousands of hours flying this particular aeroplane with PanAm around the world with a cabin full of flight attendants and now it had gone.

I don't think he flew again.