PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in Canada
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2003, 03:01
India Four Two

Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts
Since you are coming to my hometown, I thought I should respond.

Here’s the information you need about licence validation (from http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/ge...onnel/fore.htm):

Recreational Flying in Canada: Foreign Licence Validation Certificate (FLVC)

A foreign pilot licence of a visitor whose residence is outside Canada may be validated for private recreational purposes. The foreign pilot licence must be valid under the law of the issuing state and valid for the privileges appropriate to the specific purpose.

An applicant may apply for a Foreign licence Validation Certificate (FLVC) before arriving in Canada. The FLVC will be issued for a period of one year at which time the applicant may choose to renew it, or apply for a permanent Canadian Pilot Licence.

The applicant may fax a copy of their pilot licence and their valid Medical Certificate to one of Transport Canada’s Regional offices.

Transport Canada Safety and Security, General Aviation, Personnel Licensing AARRB), Place de Ville, Tower C, 6th Floor, Area D, 330 Sparks Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0N8.

There is a licensing fee of $45 Cdn. applicable that may be paid by a certified cheque, money order or credit card number, (the cheque should be made payable to ("The Receiver General for Canada").
I suggest you deal with the Calgary office (+1 403 292-5227, fax +1 403 292-5030)

Checkout and Rentals
The following list is taken from the ads in the Calgary Yellow Pages – it’s a sign of the times that nearly everyone has a web site. All phone numbers are Area Code 403.

Springbank http://www.calgaryairport.com/Spring...tml/index.html
Avpro Flight 286-5101
Calgary Flying Club 288-8831 www.calgaryflyingclub.com
Fly Right 288-5118 www.flyright.ca
Red Aero Aviation 247-4933 www.cadvision.com/redaero
Springbank Air Training College 228-7700 www.springbankair.com

Calgary International http://www.calgaryairport.com/home.html
Calgary Flight Training Centre 291-9393 www.aviation.ca
Canadian Flight Training Centre 247-2799 www.aviation.ca
Morgan Air 291-3644 www.morganairservices.com
West Point 250-3321 www.flywestpoint.com

Okotoks
Sky Wings 938-5252 www.skywings.com

High River
High River Flight Centre 652-3444

Springbank is the main GA airport just west of town on the Trans Canada Highway. It is one of the busiest airports in Canada in terms of movements.

Calgary International is a great learning experience if you’ve never flown in a busy airport with jet traffic. The drawback is long taxi times and occasional delays due to traffic. Landing on a 12,700’ x 200’ runway for the first time gives quite a different perspective. I did my Night and Instrument ratings at Morgan Air and that's where I go when I need to rent a 172.

Okotoks and High River are small single runway airports south of town. Not busy, which can be a plus, but only one operator at each. If you are staying south of town, they would be convenient. Okotoks has a north-south runway which makes for lots of cross-wind practice, given our prevailing westerly winds.

Mountain flying is a must but a mountain checkout is highly recommended if you haven’t flown in mountains before. I expect all the rental organizations would require this check before allowing you to fly solo in the mountains. Read up on density altitude - Calgary is at 3550' (higher than the top of Snowdon!). Leaning the mixture before takeoff is something that takes getting used to if you are a sea level flyer.

I can second the recommendation about the Tyrell Museum in Drumheller - a world class dinosaur exhibit. Flying there is not really convenient - the airport is a long way from the museum.

Send me a PM if you need any further information.