PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Empire Strikes Back! on Colour Defective Pilots
Old 6th Apr 2016, 07:44
OzzieH4U

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly let me say that I am on the side of the affected CVD pilots, but not having followed this thread for some time and not knowing just what the CAD test was, by using Mr Google's fantastic search engine I stumbled upon a Keynote address by Mr Skidmore to the "Aviation Medical Society of Victoria" delivered on 28 February 2015 in which he states among other things, the following -
"Colour Vision Deficiency (CVD)

My speech won’t be complete if I don’t touch on the delicate subject of CVD. Australia does differ from other countries in relation to the requirements surrounding CVD. Australia is more flexible in allowing applicants to sit multiple sequential tests for CVD where they record a fail and can issue a medical certificate if at any stage any of the three-level tests are passed. Most overseas regulators do not allow this level of flexibility. For example the UK does not allow for any second chances if an applicant fails their only test, the CAD test. They do not receive a Class 1 medical certificate.
In mid-2014, it was determined that the handling of pilots with CVD had not been in strict accordance with Civil Aviation Safety Regulation Part 67 (Medical). CASA advised industry of its new process relating to the regulations in June 2014. This was done to provide industry with information to assist in understanding their obligations in relation to the regulations. The new processes related to new applicants only and there were no impacts on existing pilots. In response to some of the correspondence received, CASA updated the CVD information on its website.
In February 2015, CASA had 134 Class 1 medical certificate holders and 252 Class 2 medical certificate holders who have failed the Ishihara test.
CASA is considering the Colour Assessment and Diagnosis (CAD) test as a third-level test. CASA has determined the CAD test is suitable as an aviation specific test for detecting CVD. It is used by the UK and is also available in the US as an option for testing for CVD. CAD provides for colour and diagnostic testing, which can determine the degree of colour deficiency, which is something that is currently not able to be determined by the Ishihara or Farnsworth tests.
Whilst I am not considering further changes to policy or standards at this time, any proposed changes will be consulted through the SCC Medical sub-committee. Pilots with existing CVD restrictions will require no other tests related to CVD, unless other medical reasons determine a need to do so." and here is the link -
https://www.casa.gov.au/standard-pag...93-way-forward

It seems from this that pilots already "in the industry" with CVD are not to be effected by the restrictions, so it would also seem that AVMED, as usual, are making up their own rules by placing such restrictions on already operational pilots.

Have a god read of the excerpt and see if you come to the same conclusions