PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Further CASA CTAF problems shows not working!
Old 6th Apr 2016, 05:23
Agrajag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agra. Surely you agree that our half wound back system makes VFR flying more complicated.

That is the most experienced pilots have the simplest system. IFR pilots just do what they are told by ATC- even when to change frequency .

But a VFR pilot flying en route has to constantly look down at the iPad and change frequency to the ATC sector. Then after hearing a pilot say " all traffic Windslow" has look down again and attempt to find out where that place is. Due to up to 13 frequencies on re transmit the location could be 400 miles away and not on the chart area being looked at.
If he looks along his track on the chart, and doesn't see Windslow anywhere, it's not a threat to him is it?

And how many times in a given flight do we actually cross a frequency boundary, and have to switch? It's certainly not "constantly", at GA aircraft speeds.

This means less remaining vigilant to see other traffic.
Sorry Dick, but... bollocks, and yet more hyperbole. If he's referring to the chart as often as he should, in order to know where he is, any place he hears mentioned should ring a bell if it's near him. It doesn't take a lot of head-down time at all, and from a decent cruise level the circuit traffic is irrelevant anyway.

See, I have actually flown across Australia testing out how the system works.
Good for you. What level of arrogance do you possess, to assume you're the only one who has?

And it doesn't. It's a half wound back stuff up and must be fixed.
If I hear that "half wound back" mantra again, I'm gonna scream. Twice in one message, alone!

Dick, I believe you have a lot to offer Australian aviation. Your passion and good intentions are unchallenged, and we need a voice the uninformed masses will heed. But, in order to have any credibility here, I think you need to separate your own personal opinions from verifiable facts. And maybe listen to the many whose experience is different to your own.