PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commercial Pilots who don't know about piston engines
Old 6th Apr 2016, 02:12
Aussie Bob

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
Then there is the issue of 10 different drivers flying the aircraft I just can't see it working commercially due to this, looks fine for say owner pilot or maybe two pilots or owners.
This does about sum it up. Although I am an engine monitor and a LOP geek, it is not really a viable commercial option without extensive pilot education followed by extensive data downloading to see if the learning has sunk in.

Much as I hate to say it, it is a private owners thing mostly. Every flight review I conduct I casually ask about the pilots leaning policy, then I listen to "standard industry practice" or "that's what I was taught" and I ponder the task of changing established practices. That said, if ever I operate or manage an aviation business again, I would be looking at getting the education and doing the downloading because the savings would well be worth it subject to pilot turnover and other commercial considerations.