PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision) 2
Old 5th Apr 2016, 20:56
MattLR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eyesight in one eye

Hello all, im 17 years old and desperatly trying to find a way to become a commercial airline pilot as it is my dream

Problem is, one of my eyes has quite bad vision (since i was born). the other is perfect and both eyes combined are 6/5 (better than average). As you may know, the CAA are very anti people with bad vision in one eye --
"applicants for an initial class 1 medical certificate with substandard vision in one eye shall be assessed as unfit."

However, under FAA rules it is possible to get a SODA to prove your ability to receive a class 1 medical. The CAA, despite turning down new applicants will often assess someone as fit it they are revalidating a class 1 medical with substandard vision in one eye --
"At revalidation, applicants with acquired substandard vision in one eye shall be referred to the licensing authority and may be assessed as fit if it is unlikely to interfere with safe exercise of the licence held."

Does this mean i can obtain a class 1 medical under the FAA rules and come to the UK and get my class 1 medical revalidated? i know its a long process but i'm willing to go to these lengths to be a pilot.

If not, does anyone have any suggestions as to any other possible ways of becoming a commercial airline pilot?