PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More KC-46A woes....
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2016, 20:12
chopper2004

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts
Westover Air Reserve Base being considered for KC-46A refueling jets | WWLP.com

CHICOPEE, Mass. (WWLP) – Western Massachusetts has been seeing and hearing C5 cargo jets for years, but the skies could soon get even nosier.
The Air Force is considering Westover Air Reserve Base to house new KC-46A refueling jets.
Lt. Col. James Bishop told 22News the jets are appealing for several reasons. “These jets are newer, they’re more fuel efficient, and can actually carry more fuel. Westover Air Reserve Base is one of four bases in the country being considered to host the KC-46A aircraft. Though the top choice is Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, N.C., Westover could receive the new airplanes if the top choice is disqualified.”
The KC-46A’s would replace an aging tanker fleet and improve capacity for cargo and medical evaluation.
Lt. Col. James Bishop said the local economy would benefit, by creating new jobs for pilots and maintenance personnel. “The good news is increased activity on the base, more economic activity, the bad news, more planes, more noise,” he said.
The KC-46A’s aren’t as loud as C5’s, which we’ve all been hearing for years.
Aurora McGreevy, the owner of Aurora’s Pizza told 22News she’s ok with it, if it means more business. “I really don’t mind the noise, we have the noise going on now, so I would love to see more traffic and I’d love to see more people stopping in so I really would like it,” she said.
Westover Air Reserve Base is one of four bases the Air Force is considering for the new jets.
They’re going to take a look at several factors before making their decision, including the impact environmentally and economically.
The Airforce will decide where to base the KC-46A’s in 2017.
Residents will be able to ask questions about the jets at a public meeting. It’ll be held next Tuesday at the Castle of the Knights in Chicopee, from 5:00 to 8:00 PM.