PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2016, 11:28
longer ron

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Megapete
I note that the reference to the elevator hinge pin is in the paragraph headed a Aircraft Document Set this implies to me that the problem was one of documentation rather than the pin being unsuitable for use. It would be interesting to know if the solution to this particular issue is to retrospectively approve the mod or to re fit the original part - do you happen to know ?

paras b and c look like paperwork issues as well.

I can see that the paperwork needs to be correct to ensure airworthiness but would love to know if there was a fleet of serviceable aircraft with a paperwork problem or a fleet of problem aircraft grounded for 2 years

The 64,000 dollar question - I doubt that the subject pin was unsuitable just as I doubt that many of the Gliders were in any way unsafe to fly(before they were grounded),they are really simple a/c which spend most of their flying lives at less than 70kts.
There were probably 3 or 4 ways of tackling the problem,but that would have needed natural leaders in charge and of course would not have suited the various personal and MOD agendas.
As I have said before - the lack of communication with the VGS personnel over the last two years speaks volumes about the real aims/agendas during the 2 year 'pause' - they did not want to have to answer searching questions.
Every maintenance organisation has paperwork/procedural issues - nobody is perfect and sometimes need strong leadership and direction to keep up with modern/current ways of doing things.
It would be easy to get 'hung out to dry' if ones company had failed to keep up with up to date procedures but it was a huge failing of whoever was supposed to have oversight of the maintenance side of ACO gliders.

As I previously posted - I had heard that there might also have been a problem with some VGS Glider Hangars (not meeting MAA standards ?) but have not seen that mentioned yet !