PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2016, 06:27
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Flying Lawyer

I have read that claim elsewhere – by only one person. He/she also put only a part as a direct quote.
The sentence read as a whole is so obviously not correct that I wonder if the part not in quotes is the writer's interpretation of what the CEO said.
First, a typo on my part - it was October 2012.

The context was the Chief Executive had been sent the written evidence to the Nimrod and Philip Reviews. In reply, he stated the content and subject was "none of my or the Society's business". The content was 100% safety/airworthiness related. The wider context was a number of Fellows expressing frustration at the CE vetoing letters refuting the MoD (and hence Society) line on the subject. Specifically, the members had noted, and wanted printed in the Society magazine, that MoD and Ministers (they named Adam Ingram) had been given advance warning of the systemic failures reiterated by Mr Haddon-Cave. This warning was given to Ingram over 18 months before the crash.

I'm sure, as you say, there is always scope for misinterpretation, or a poorly worded letter, but the Society's attitude toward the subject is well known, as is its overbearing attitude toward members who do not toe the line; especially on the likes of Mull of Kintyre.