PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United flight attendant pulls emergency exit, walks away
Old 5th Apr 2016, 03:46
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow I had forgotten all about that one! I wonder what happened to him?
Slater was found in flagrante delicto with a friend at home in Queens and arrested. He posted $2500 bail.

He received an offer to host a reality show:

Former JetBlue flight attendant Slater receives offer to host reality TV show | NJ.com

He later copped a plea and was ordered to undergo mental health and substance abuse counseling and treatment.

He blamed a variety of factors for his actions:

"Mr. Slater felt somewhat humiliated after what he perceived as degrading working conditions, and he had a level of rage at the time that was perhaps exacerbated by alcohol intoxication and maybe some other contributing stress factors," the district attorney said. "As a result, I think he overreacted when he was confronted by what he perceived as a rude passenger."

Brown said activating the escape chute "was no laughing matter," and he scolded Slater — and the public — for not taking his actions more seriously. The district attorney noted that it cost $25,000 to fix the slide and that the plane had to be taken out of service, causing flight delays.

Slater, who has no criminal history, has said he cracked under pressure because of his terminally ill mother, recently deceased father and health problems of his own, including HIV.
Ex-JetBlue flight attendant Steven Slater pleads guilty to criminal mischief, will undergo counseling | NJ.com