PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2016, 19:10
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alf5071h

A very interesting post.
There's force in what you say.

These views reflect learning without blame – aviation safety, or alternatively punishment and retribution within the law.
That, I agree, is an important issue in terms of aviation safety.
Public opinion, understandably and perhaps instinctively, favours the latter.
Informed opinion is divided. 'Informed' in this context being those who are aware of the pros and cons and have objectively considered the competing arguments.

Pittsextra
No useful purpose will be served by my repeating the arguments about why flight safety is likely to be compromised if AAIB reports are used for a purpose for which they are not intended.
See the submissions by the Chief Inspector AAIB in post 1490 above.

tucumseh
Airworthiness / safety is “none of my or the Society's business”. (Chief Executive, RAeS 5 October 2011)
I have read that claim elsewhere – by only one person. He/she also put only a part as a direct quote.
The sentence read as a whole is so obviously not correct that I wonder if the part not in quotes is the writer's interpretation of what the CEO said.

I have no axe to grind. Although I have been a Fellow of the RAeS for about 14 years, I have never been involved in its affairs. My contact has been limited to attending the occasional lecture, giving a keynote address at a Flight Operations Group conference and attending a couple of seminars. I don't know nor, as far as I can recall, have I ever met the CEO.