PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SEP over water - do you? And if so how far will you go?
Old 4th Apr 2016, 17:09
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Might not see eye to eye on the EU question with SSD but I also have experienced the reliability of aircraft engines.

Continental had a very bad quality control at one time and I had 3 rocker shafts on a nearly new engine part company on a Seneca Five at 200 feet in the climb out
After investigation continental apologised after discovering the 3 shafts were way over torqued at manufacture and replaced the complete engine within 2 weeks
Also remember these are not modern engines but a pretty old design.

I am not for one minute saying don't do it and I have crossed the channel at wider points too many times to remember but having flown USA UK a number of times high level with two jet engines I really admire the guts of those bumbling along low level in tiny single engined pistons.

my friend also a jet pilot used to ferry singles and had the luckiest escape ferrying a tanked up Cessna. He had a fuel transfer problem and the engine stopped midway in IMC, bursting out at 500 feet ASL he came out over the only fishing vessel in 200 miles and luckily was spotted and rescued

Pace