PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA allowing unlicensed drone ops, <2kg
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2016, 15:07
AndrewChapman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CASA allowing unlicensed drone ops, <2kg

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is general knowledge in the wider aviation community yet, but CASA is moving to amend part 101 to allow completely unlicensed drone operations, providing that the UAV in question is below 2kg AUW.

As a professional UAV business aware of the dangers, we are extremely concerned at the prospect of relatively large drones being flown without any sort of permit or knowledge of basic aviation law, airspace, etc. I certainly wouldn't want 2kg of metal and carbon fibre coming through any part of my aircraft (I fly the ones you sit in too!).

Of course there is small print restricting use around airports and such, but I would not expect anyone to follow that, the general message people will hear is anything goes if <2kg.

I mention it here in the hope that you agree with the safety concern and can voice it back up the chain from the manned aviation side of the fence. Collisions are increasingly likely, even without this change, but by throwing open the doors to every amateur photographer out there that risk is being severely ratcheted up.

If the amendments go through, keep your eyes peeled below 3000ft come September!

Regards,
Andrew Chapman
Australian UAV, Director of Operations NSW
www.auav.com.au