PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Comments on fatique
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2016, 10:43
Mr Good Cat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jack schidt
Sadly pilots state fatigue and want more money and I agree, more money is the answer!! The more the salary increases, the more pilots will come and ease the pressure on those currently flying.

J
Unfortunately not true. I hear from those who attended THAT meeting, that AAR says the manning levels are as planned and 95 hours a month is to be the norm.

So they might increase the salary just enough to make people think twice about resigning, but they won't recruit more pilots to ease the workload. It's just not in the plan. And that's the biggest problem with us as a pilot group in the ME. We tend to be mercenaries - happy to state fatigue is prevalent and dangerous but just as happy to ignore it to earn an extra 10 bucks... Airline managers know this and use it to their advantage - if you want an example consider a certain European LoCo who used to work to a random roster pattern which was quite tiring swapping earlies to lates and back again. They introduced a fixed pattern of 5 earlies followed by days off and 5 lates to mitigate the effects of sleep deprivation. Then when they realised they needed flexibility due to shortage of crew they offered volunteers £10,000 to go on a random roster for 3 months in the summer... Guess what? - no shortage of volunteers and no fatigue reports even though behind the scenes everyone was saying they were shattered due to the disruptive nature of the flexi rosters. Still, nice to boast about that extra cash, eh?