PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Further CASA CTAF problems shows not working!
Old 4th Apr 2016, 07:53
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about controllers instructing us to "Maintain F200" when we're cruising at F390 and what he really means is "Descend F200." Does he think we're already there? Should we check?
Agrajag,
That is one of the three descent clearances that have a very specific meaning, if you had been up with the very brief US differences to ICAO.

Why do they vector us onto parallel approaches with slower aircraft, then scream blue murder when we go around because of a TCAS RA which we are required to follow? And when our company contacts them to explain how they're setting us up for this situation, why do they keep doing it?
Most interesting??

I have operated "heavies" for three different airlines in US airspace, all three has an SOP that said you deselect RA mode in TCASA II, in terminal areas, because you will likely get successive RAs., particularly with US or European traffic levels.

I am not surprised SoCal or NorCal TRACON were a trifle pissed, if it was the West Coast.

It was also the equipment manufacturer's recommendation, Boeing's recommendations, and there is a piece in the AIM on the subject.
So, you were the only soldier in the battalion in step. I would suggest it is your airline's SOPs that should be questioned.

Quite a while ago, some "expert" at ATSB organised a NOTAM requiring all VH- TCAS equipped aircraft to file an incident report every time there was TA, not just RA. We tried to explain that was crazy, but in the usual Australian fashion, why take any notice of anybody (including airlines, not just individual pilots) who actually knows what they are talking about.

So, we decided that the only answer was 100% compliance, and ATSB were swamped with incident reports --- I personally filed seven (7) in one 45 minute flight, EGCC to EGLL, four (4) of which were for every circuit of the hold at Bovingdon - just a normal day. After a couple of weeks, and hundreds of reports, ATSB cancelled the NOTAM.

As I said in a previous post, the difference is between "communicating" and stilted, inflexible and pedantic Australian "radio procedures", far in excess of the ICAO recommendations. Where, beyond the very formal requirements around clearances and read-backs, and a few other specific requirements, ICAO or FAA (or most place else) you are expected to "communicate" in plain language, ICAO English Level 6, not go searching for a "standard" phrase to fit the bill.

Every time we had a new pilot, whose only experience was in Australia, outside Australia, and not only in the US, it was a steep learning curve, and the hardest lesson to learn was that you should dispense with the view that "CASA will provide" a standard and obligatory phrase for every situation.

It was and is a parallel universe to the Australian approach, I am glad I only ever had to spend limited time in Australian FIRs. Flying up and down the east coast of Australia, with the occasional side trip to Adelaide or Perth would have driven me, and most of my colleagues, around the twist.

Tootle pip!!

Last edited by LeadSled; 4th Apr 2016 at 08:31.