PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Further CASA CTAF problems shows not working!
Old 4th Apr 2016, 07:21
Lead Balloon

Received 445 Likes on 224 Posts
Are you suggesting that pilots in Australia only do what's mandatory?
No.
Are you suggesting it's good airmanship not to give any radio calls at aerodromes that are not marked on maps?
It depends on whether the call is necessary to reduce the risk of collision. If it's not, it's pointless and poor airmanship to make unnecessary broadcasts on the radio.

And you do, of course, realise that it's not 'bad' airmanship to operate at these places with no radio at all? If it's OK to operate at these places with no radio at all, it's OK to operate at these places and not make broadcasts just for the sake of hearing one's own voice on the radio.
Surely not.
Surely yes.
Or am I having a misunderstanding?
Yes you are.
Isn't there a requirement for VFR to monitor and announce if in potential conflict when en route in G?
Where is that requirement? You seem to be mixing up your en route with your in vicinity. And you might not need to have any radio at all.

You are going to need to be across the detail of this stuff when you get in front of the Federal Court.
What would be the purpose of CASA sending out the Notam covering CTAF frequencies at non marked aerodromes if no one gives any calls!
So that the pilots of radio equipped aircraft at those places are better able to assess the risk of a collision, and thereby to decide whether it is necessary to make a broadcast to mitigate that risk.

I have an unmarked airstrip on my property that is equidistant from Deniliquin (CTAF 119.0), Tocomwal (CTAF 125.5) and Echuca (CTAF 119.1). Nobody's doing circuits at my place. There is no point in me blabbing away to myself on 126.7 when operating in and out of there. There is no point my broadcasting on any frequency other than Area, and the only useful broadcast is that I'm rolling at X for Y at specified altitude. Job done, other than keeping an eye out for no radio aircraft and listening out on Area.

Same for an unmarked strip in the Southern Highlands.

Cattlemustering pilots in the outback aren't going to be blabbing to each other on the Area frequency, and are perfectly capable of getting themselves in and out of the unmarked strip on a property in the middle of nowhere without making half a dozen calls on the Area frequency.
And do you mean that you support E terminal airspace for Ballina?
Yes. Allowing RPT jets to operate to aerodromes in ForG but requiring an RFFS seems to me to be one of the more grotesque misallocations of finite safety resources I have seen.

PS for Andrew: Risk mitigation is not just about talking; it's also about listening.

Last edited by Lead Balloon; 4th Apr 2016 at 07:36.